Organization: Boys & Girls Club of Greater Washington
The mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington is to help boys and girls of all backgrounds, especially those who need us most, build confidence, develop character and acquire the skills needed to become productive, civic-minded, responsible adults.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington was established in 1886 as the Newsboys and Children’s Aid Society . In the early 1900s, the Working Boys Home and Children’s Aid Association replaced this organization and enlarged the scope of service to neighborhood boys.
With the support of the Rotary Club of Washington, D.C., a board of trustees was established and the name changed to Boys Clubs of Washington. In 1973, Boys Clubs of Washington began serving girls as full and equal members. In July of 1981, Boys Clubs of Washington changed its name to Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington to reflect its new direction.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington is now one of the largest affiliates of Boys & Girls Clubs of America with 21 sites over a 75-mile radius from Frederickburg, Virginia to Germantown, Maryland as well as a residential summer camp in Southern Maryland. Read more